Customer Support

+971 4 3529 915

Email Us

Request A Free Demo

+971 55 8993 902

UAE is embracing a paradigm shift in the form of taxation starting from the last quarter of 2017. To start with, Government has declared the implementation procedures of Excise Tax which be levied from 1st October 2017 onwards.


President of the UAE, has issued Federal Decree-Law No. 7 of 2017 on Excise Tax. This step is envisioned as a tool to build a healthier and safer society. It is set to discourage the consumption of products that negatively impact the environment and, more importantly, people’s health. The additional revenue generated will go towards supporting advanced services for all members of society. It will help to diversify the government’s revenue streams and boosts its resources, which, in turn, will strengthen the economy and ensure its sustainability.
Excise Tax will apply to the following goods:


Tobacco products – Tobacco and tobacco products include all items listed within Schedule 24 of the GCC Common Customs Tariff.
Carbonated drinks (note that this excludes sparkling water) – Carbonated drinks include any aerated beverage except for unflavored aerated water. Also considered to be carbonated drinks are any concentrations, powder, gel, or extracts intended to be made into an aerated beverage.

Energy drinks – Energy drinks include any beverages which are marketed, or sold as an energy drink, and containing stimulant substances that provide mental and physical stimulation, which includes without limitation: caffeine, taurine, ginseng and guarana. This also includes any substance that has an identical or similar effect as the aforementioned substances. Also considered to be energy drinks are any concentrations, powder, gel or extracts intended to be made into an energy enhancing drink.

Excise tax will be calculated as a percentage of the Retail Sale Prices (RSP) throughout UAE as given below:


100% for tobacco products & Energy drinks
50% for Carbonated drinks

All businesses that import, produce or store excisable goods must consider if they must be registered with the Federal Tax Authority and are accountable for filing and paying Excise Tax. All such businesses required to register with FTA (Federal Tax Authority) and obtain a TRN (Tax Registration Number). Registrations can be done at


Please do feel free to discuss with us if any technological enhancements need to be done in order to address these new rules and regulations.


With Regards,